Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Friday 17 June 2011

The long and winding road...

OK, so the road may not be that long at the moment or winding but the training is well underway and I'm starting to get into a routine. I'm currently working on my first mile out of a total of three (technically 3.1miles, but let's not get picky). I have three months, so a mile a month is what I'm working on. Maths in action there folks!
My training really turned a corner this week (excuse the pun) as my body gets used to jogging in the real world and I start to get the hang of pacing myself. No more whirring of the cross trainer, hidden away in the spare bedroom with my eyes glued to desperate housewives. Oh no.. Time to let the public see me sweat and hear me huff and puff like Darth Vader. Nice.
Now, Facebook followers would have perhaps read the status updates, one in particular stating, "Jog done. I'm not gonna lie, it ain't fun." I was feeling particular fed up that evening, seriously questioning my ability to run this 5km. When I began training I started out with a short circuit round the block, about 0.5km, and would repeat. In just a couple of weeks though I was running round in circles three or four times. It had got boring and I was loosing my motivation. I had tried taking the iPod along for company but every time I ran a few metres the silly headphones would just pop right out of my ears! *sigh*
So the next trip out that week was to be different. Still no iPod, the battery was now flat, but I had a new route planned; a longer circuit that I would not have to keep going round and round and round. Off I went, with a spring in my step and I did it! My first mile. Yay! Need to perfect it a little before we set to work on the next mile, but I'm starting to feel confident about this challenge.
Thank you to all of you who have sponsored me so far. It really does help to keep me motivated and determined to achieve something I've never done before. xxx

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I am one of the Julians friends off the internet, and am a bit of a runner myself, and at my peak, I was managing 9 miles.

    My wife and I are actually in training for the Great North Swim 2012. That should be fun.

    ReplyDelete