Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Thursday 21 July 2011

The Map of My Life

One dark, cold November evening I found myself looking in the mirror and not recognising the person looking back. I looked old! The sleepless nights, breastfeeding (drink LOTS of water Mummies or you shrivel up) and the stress and worry that comes with having a baby (plus a little bit extra in our case) was taking its toll... on my face!
A quick plea to Father Christmas ensured that I could start the New Year without looking like the life had been sucked out of my face, but rather look youthful, fresh and radiant! (I believe what it says on the box).

Today I still have a little buffet of 'anti-aging' creams on the dressing table that I like to indulge in, but when I look at Amelia and her prominent scar on her chest I have to stop and think; why do we hide these wrinkles, lines and blemishes? Each one tells a story. The little round scar form chicken pox... the scars on my eyebrows when I misjudged doors as a child... the lines of worry when we found out Amelia had a heart condition and then a few more when she was in hospital... the lines of all the happy days, both before and since Amelia... So many lines of happiness that far out number the rest. Yet we all do it, cover them, disguise them, any way we can. We try to cover up the map!

I am sometimes sad that Amelia's map has started so young. My little baby, born so perfectly on the outside, was not quite perfect on the inside. She needed a little bit of repair work and now has a souvenir to prove it!  As I come to terms with it though, I look at her scar and feel proud that she has overcome such a big hurdle and hope that she continues through life with this determination and strength. I hope she is proud of her scar and doesn't try to hide it away (although that could be awkward when she's older, considering it's position, and I'm not so sure her Daddy would be too thrilled)!

The next time you're covering up your map - and it's ok, I'm still covering up mine! - have a little think. What does it say about you and your life? Good times, bad times, they are all there and make us who we are. xxx

Our maps.


To help other children, like Amelia, so that they can be fixed, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment