Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Tuesday 13 September 2011

I DID IT!

On Sunday I went to Hyde Park with about 10,000 other women to take part in the Adidas Women's 5K Challenge.

I felt very relaxed about the whole thing, knowing I put in the effort with my training and I was quite simply going to make it round the course best I could.  There were quite a few of us running for GOSHCC and we had a team photo before the race (I'm kneeling, 3rd from the right).


Then it was time for the warm up led my a Mr. Motivator type man on a stage surrounded by atheletic women in their lycra! I've only just noticed the enormous bear also taking part in the warm up! I didn't see it on my way round, so hoping I started ahead of it, rather than it starting ahead of me and beating me to the finish! I didn't quite finish the warm up due to needing a desperate wee. One more jump and I'd be doing a Paula Radcliffe.  My pelvic floor isn't what it used to be! Hmm, should have done more of those exercises!

After the warm up, it was time to find my starting place. I'd decided that I would be doing the 5K solo, without Amelia. I'd put a lot of effort in to my training and didn't think I'd be able to put it into practise if I was pushing Amelia around. She went with Daddy and my family to cheer me on whilst I made my way to the '35 minutes plus' zone.


Whilst waiting to start, I got talking to a lady called Sarah who was raising money for her local hospital. She was intrigued by the wand so I told her all about it. We got to talking about our strategy for the race. Like me she wanted to jog/walk her way round, and, like me, she was aiming to complete it in about 40 minutes! Brilliant, I'd found a jogging buddy! We set off and seemed quite well matched in our pace and when to walk for a bit. After about 1.5K though, I'd got through the feeling that my legs weighed 10 stone each, and was getting into my stride. We'd agreed beforehand that neither one of us would be offended if the other wanted to go on, so with a "might see you later" I went on ahead. Unfortunately I never did see Sarah again. I hope she made it round and achieved everything she wanted.

By 3K I realised I was on track to complete the course in 40 minutes. Averaging 8 mins per kilometre, it was important I didn't slow down too much. I knew my supporters would be cheering me on at the 4K mark and I wanted to be seen jogging past!  I was so excited to see them and as soon as I saw the giant GOSHCC flag in the distance I picked up my pace, giving a big smile and wave as I went past.




With just 1K left, I was nearly there! It wasn't the easiest of finishes. A few twist and turns, inclines and speed bumps to contend with but I turned the final corner and saw the finish line! Yippee, I did it in 41 minutes!



I had a fantastic time taking part and being around so many other women each running for their own reason was amazing. I feel proud of what I have achieved and even more so by the amount I raised for GOSHCC. But asked if i would do it again and my answer is still the same. Nope! I'd like to do an event with Amelia, but no serious running for me. I haven't got the running bug. This is the closest I'll ever get to running again...


and even then I'd much rather be leading the parade!!


No comments:

Post a Comment