Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Saturday 3 September 2011

The magic number!

Here it is, my race number for next Sunday!

It's all very professional and serious which scares me slightly as I am no where near professional (although for those who have given me their hard earned cash, I am taking this seriously)!

Along with my number I was sent a magazine outlining the event, interviews with past runners, advertisements from different charities, etc. I straight away flicked to the page about what to do on the day and where I needed to go. I discovered that I had to pick an appropriate 'zone' for my running ability. OK, let's see..

"The front rows at the start are for the elite and celebrity runners only"  Nope, not me!

"The next zone is for runners capable of 25 minutes or faster. There were just 150 runners who achieved this time last year so do not promote yourself to this zone unless you are a competent and regular runner and confident of running the whole distance at this pace".  I can't say I'm competent and I'm not feeling so confident here so I'm thinking... nope, that's not me! Next?

"Behind the sub 25 minutes zone is the zone for 25-30 minutes. Again this is for regular runners..." Hmm, don't think I'm suitable for that zone. Oh, dear is there going to be a 'zone' for me? Let's see about the next one...

"The next zone is for those capable of 35 minutes or faster. Most of you who intend to jog the whole way will be in this zone." Now this is sounding a little better. It was my intention to jog the whole way, however I have not achieved this in my training. I blame the many hills I have to encounter. Norfolk is supposed to be renowned for it's flat landscape yet there seem to be an abundance of hills and gradual inclines in my area! Silver Road and Constitution Hill are a dream to jog down; indeed give me a 5K downhill route and I'd love it!  But jogging up them? I'm afraid I have to walk.

"The final two zones are for those likely to take over 35 minutes, whose main aim is to simply complete the course."  If I had done no training I know I would be able to complete the course, so that's a given. If I do the combined jog/walk approach, as I have been doing in my training, this is probably the better zone for me. My target is 40 minutes. This seems realistic for me and if I do end up jogging it all I could lead the pack! Haha! I could win (sort of)!

There is an extra line that suggests an alternative. "...if you have children with you, and/or especially if you have buggies... you should start in this zone." This suggests I could go round with Amelia in her buggy! How great would that be?! After all, it's because of her that I am raising money for Great Ormond Street Children's Charity and doing the event. I'm sure Amelia would love to go whizzing round in her buggy and certainly something to be proud of when she's older. If it really is a possibility on the day, then I think this will be the number one option.

Decision made then! All that's left to say is please sponsor me if you haven't already!!! I'm really doing this, I even have a special GOSHCC T-shirt to wear, and it means an awful lot to me. Please show that you support me by clicking here. Thank you. xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment