Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Thursday 8 September 2011

Looking back : Looking forward

Four months ago I made the decision to take part in this year's Adidas Women's 5k Challenge. My primary objective at the time was to raise as much money for Great Ormond Street Hospital Children's Charity (GOSHCC) as I could. Amelia's operation was still very fresh in my mind, being only a month prior, and I felt I needed to do a fundraising event sooner rather than later.

As the weeks and months have passed I have found the whole process to be a great deal more than just raising money. What surprised me was how much I needed to let go. Over a year of built up feelings needed to find their way out; training and writing this blog has proven to be a positive way of channeling these feelings.

Every time I went out for a jog in preparation for the Adidas Women's 5K Challenge, I would be thinking over my next blog post, thinking about the events that had led me here and how I could tell you my story in a way that would emphasise how much GOSHCC need your support, yet also in a way that wouldn't have you sobbing on the sofa for the rest of the day. Comments received about my blog plus the staggering total on my Just Giving page suggest I got the balance right.

Right from the start, I decided this was to be my only fundraising attempt; it is not going to be an annual thing so you can be assured I will not keep pestering you for money!  I would still like to take part in events for GOSHCC, but I will not be asking for sponsorship.  I still maintain that I am not a natural runner, although I may participate in the occasional 'fun run' for GOSHCC. In all honesty I can't wait to go back to the comforts of my Wii Fit, cross trainer and Desperate Housewives! After Sunday I will no longer embrace the outdoors for my fitness fix!

Crossing the finish line in Hyde Park on Sunday will not only represent the end of the race, but an end to a difficult year. I feel I've been able to make peace with what has happened and it is now time to move on and look forward. The journey has been positive, not only in Amelia's successful operation and recovery but in the fundraising that has been done since. I'd never had believed that I would be going round Hyde Park with almost £1000 for GOSHCC. I'm eternally grateful to all of you who have donated to GOSHCC, as without you, the hospital would not be able to go on looking after children in the way that they do.
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment